My 9 ‘finds” – 1stdibs at NYDC – last night attending Mario Buatta & Ellie Cullman booksigning party
Last night I attended an event at the New York Design Center. It was a night to toast design legends, Mario Butta and Ellie Cullman, who were there participating in a book signing. The night was sponsored by another iconic player in the design industry: 1stdibs.com and as always, when these events take place on the 10th floor of NYDC, it’s a chance to see literally thousands of gorgeous objects, vintage and otherwise, that are on display in 33,000-square feet of space. Here items are on sale from over 54 1stdibs® dealers from around the country, as well as a few international dealers
I love looking online as much as anyone, but as a design devotee there’s always an extra thrill seeing things close up; it’s an experience all its own. Of course it makes you want said items even more! I wandered the various showrooms and found some pesonal favorites that I’d like to own. Get ready — last night’s items are surprisingly diverse. From orange velvet chairs with fringe on the bottom, (which Mario Buatta also selected as one of his ‘finds’) to leather and wood campaign stools, to a charming and very cool French desk lamp, that is a simple and perfectly designed. There are always a lot of great items up there, so that’s the point of making it up to the 10th floor, the range of items is vast.
My picks last night:
1. A pair of low back armchairs upholstered in orange velvet with fringe. $5200.Booth 47
2. A pair of mid century Grosfelt House 43 ” slipper chairs/settees Circa 1950s $8500, Booth 36
3. A pair of brass & crystal andirons, 1960-70. $3500. Booth 48
4. French modernist balancing swing arm sconce, 1950s. $3800. Booth 54
5. Fantastically colorful, with a bold graphic pattern, Limoges porcelain plates in a limited edition.
6. T.H. Robsjohn Gibbings leather slipper chairs, 1950s. $15,500. Booth 53
7. A Pietra Dura box with inlay spider, $525. Harris Kratz.
8. Cocotte Diablo desk lamp, 1950s. $1500. Booth 54
9. A pair of campaign stools by Cleo Baldon for Terra furniture, 1970s. $6200. Booth 45.
NYDC – 200 Lexington Ave, NY, NY.